Python is a high level and multi-paradigm programming language designed by Guido van Rossum, a Dutch programmer, having all the features as conventional programming languages such as C, C++ and Java have.
It is one of the fastest growing languages and has undergone a successful span of more than 25 years as far as its adoption is concerned. This success also reveals a promising future scope of python programming language.
In fact, it has been continuously serving as the best programming language for application development, web development, game development, system administration, scientific and numeric computing, GIS and Mapping etc.
Why Is Python So Popular?
The reason behind the immense popularity of python programming language across the globe is the features it provides. Have a look at the features of python language.
(1) Python Supports Multiple Programming Paradigms
Python is a multi-paradigm programming language including features such as object-oriented, imperative, procedural, functional, reflective etc.
(2) Python Has Large Set Of Library and Tools
Python has very extensive standard libraries and tools that enhance the overall functionality of python language and also helps python programmers to easily write codes. Some of the important python libraries and tools are listed below.
- Built-in functions, constants, types, and exceptions.
- File formats, file and directory access, multimedia services.
- GUI development tools such as Tkinter
- Custom Python Interpreters, Internet protocols and support, data compression and archiving, modules etc.
- Scrappy, wxPython, SciPy, matplotlib, Pygame, PyQT, PyGTK etc.
(3) Python Has a Vast Community Support
This is what makes python a favorable choice for development purposes. If you are having problems writing python a program, you can post directly to python community and will get the response with the solution of your problem. You will also find many new ideas regarding python technology and change in the versions.
(4) Python is Designed For Better Code Readability
Python provides a much better code readability as compared to another programming language. For example, it uses whitespace indentation in place of curly brackets for delimiting the block of codes. Isn’t it awesome?
(5) Python Contains Fewer Lines Of Codes
Codes are written in python programming language complete in fewer lines thus reducing the efforts of programmers. Let’s have a look on the following “Hello World” program written in C, C++, Java, and Python.
While, C, C++, and Java take six, seven and five lines respectively for a simple “Hello World” program. Python takes only a single line which means, less coding effort and time is required for writing the same program.
Future Technologies Counting On Python
Generally, we have seen that python programming language is extensively used for web development, application development, system administration, developing games etc.
But do you know there are some future technologies that are relying on python? As a matter of fact, Python has become the core language as far as the success of these technologies is concerned. Let’s dive into the technologies which use python as a core element for research, production and further developments.
(1) Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Python programming language is undoubtedly dominating the other languages when future technologies like Artificial Intelligence(AI) comes into the play.
There are plenty of python frameworks, libraries, and tools that are specifically developed to direct Artificial Intelligence to reduce human efforts with increased accuracy and efficiency for various development purposes.
It is only the Artificial Intelligence that has made it possible to develop speech recognition system, autonomous cars, interpreting data like images, videos etc.
We have shown below some of the python libraries and tools used in various Artificial Intelligence branches.
- Machine Learning- PyML, PyBrain, scikit-learn, MDP Toolkit, GraphLab Create, MIPy etc.
- General AI- pyDatalog, AIMA, EasyAI, SimpleAI etc.
- Neural Networks- PyAnn, pyrenn, ffnet, neurolab etc.
- Natural Language & Text Processing- Quepy, NLTK, gensim
(2) Big Data
The future scope of python programming language can also be predicted by the way it has helped big data technology to grow. Python has been successfully contributing in analyzing a large number of data sets across computer clusters through its high-performance toolkits and libraries.
Let’s have a look at the python libraries and toolkits used for Data analysis and handling other big data issues.
- GraphLab Create
Networking is another field in which python has a brighter scope in the future. Python programming language is used to read, write and configure routers and switches and perform other networking automation tasks in a cost-effective and secure manner.
For these purposes, there are many libraries and tools that are built on the top of the python language. Here we have listed some of these python libraries and tools especially used by network engineers for network automation.
- NAPALM(Network Automation and Programmability Abstraction Layer with Multivendor Support)
- Junos PyEZ
- Paramiko SSH
Real-Life Python Success Stories
Python has seemingly contributed as a core language for increasing productivity regarding various development purposes at many of the IT organizations. We have shown below some of the real-life python success stories.
- Australia’s RMA Department D-Link has successfully implemented python for creating DSL Firmware Recovery System.
- Python has helped Gusto.com, an online travel site, in reducing development costs and time.
- ForecastWatch.com also uses python in rating the accuracy of weather forecast reports provided by companies such as Accuweather, MyForecast.com and The Weather Channel.
- Python has also benefitted many product development companies such as Acqutek, AstraZeneca, GravityZoo, Carmanah Technologies Inc. etc in creating autonomous devices and software.
- Test&Go uses python scripts for Data Validation.
- Industrial Light & Magic(ILM) also uses python for batch processing that includes modeling, rendering and compositing thousands of picture frames per day.
There is a huge list of success stories of many organizations across the globe which are using python for various purposes such as software development, data mining, unit testing, product development, web development, data validation, data visualization etc.
These success stories directly point towards a promising future scope of python programming language.
Top Competitors Of Python
The future scope of python programming language also depends on its competitors in the IT market. But, due to the fact that it has become a core language for future technologies such as artificial intelligence, big data, etc., it will surely gonna rise further and will be able to beat its competitors.
The only languages which are slightly ahead of python in terms of popularity ratings are Java, C, C++, and C#. These figures will shortly be going to change after seeing the growing popularity and high adoption of Python programming language.
Another Index that measures the popularity of programming languages is PYPL. And according to PYPL(PopularitY of Programming Language) index, Python has secured the second position in India and Germany, Java being the only language ahead of it.
But in other countries like U.K, U.S.A, and France, Python has seized the top position beating its toughest competitor Java in terms of popularity.
According to datanyze.com, python is at the 5th position in the list of 31 frameworks and programming languages in India with a market share of 1.6 percent.
The top three competitors of Python in India are listed below along with their market shares and current websites.
Market Share- 39.53%
Current Websites- 41,052
Market Share- 4.03%
Current Websites- 4,186
Market Share- 1.97%
Current Websites- 2,042
Websites Developed Using Python
As you already know that python programming language is used for web development, so here are some of the world’s most popular websites that are created using python.
Organizations Using Python Language
There are many small and big organizations and startups as well that are immensely using Python to improve their productivity and meet customer requirements.
Even the governmental organizations are using python to maintain and add more functionality to their website. USA’s CIA(Central Intelligence Agency) is one of them.
We have jotted down some of the world’s biggest organizations that are continuously deploying python and its development frameworks to deal with their chief areas of production.
It uses Workflow Automation System(WAS), an application written in python and developed by NASA’s shuttle support contractor USA(United Space Alliance).
NASA also uses Python for its various open source projects such as APOD(Astronomy Picture of the Day) API, PyTransit, PyMDP Toolbox, EVEREST etc.
It uses python for its internal systems and API’s and for reports generation, log analysis, A/Q and testing, writing core search algorithms, just to name a few.
Youtube which is subsidiary of Google, Inc also uses python for viewing a video, accessing canonical data, controlling templates of the website etc.
(3) Walt Disney Feature Animation
Walt Disney Feature Animation uses python as a scripting language for most of its animation tasks and related production.
(4) AlphaGene, Inc.
AlphaGene is a biotechnology company based in the United States which deals in gene and protein discovery. It uses python for its bioinformatics and tracking system.
(5) Red Hat
It is a multinational computer software company based in the United States. It uses an installer, Anaconda, written in python for installing RHEL(Red Hat Enterprise Linux) and Fedora operating systems.
Apart from using python-based installer Anaconda, most of the system configuration tools in RHEL and Fedora operating systems are written in python. These tools are used to change the state of the newly installed operating system.
For example, Firewalld is a configuration tool used for the dynamic management of the firewall and provides an essential support for network/firewall zones.
Well, you all are already familiar with this popular vendor of mobile phones in the world. It is basically a Finnish IT, consumer electronics, and telecommunication industry.
It uses PyS60(Python for S60) and PyMaemo(Python for Maemo) for its S60(Symbian) and Maemo(Linux) software platforms.
IBM is an American-based multinational computer manufacturing company. It is using python for its factory tool control applications at its micrus semiconductor plant in East Fishkill. These tools are used to handle data collection, material entry etc.
(8) SGI, Inc.
SGI(Silicon Graphics International) is a U.S-based computer hardware and software company. It also provides high-performance computing, data analytics, and data management solutions.
It uses python for its Linux installer being derived from Red Hat’s Anaconda installer.
This Linux installer is used in several Linux-based products of SGI such as ISP, workstations, system console, clustering, servers etc.
(9) Yahoo! Maps
It is an online mapping portal developed at Yahoo!. Many of its mapping lookup services and addresses were written in python.
This clearly shows that python programming language is currently one of the most popular and widely used languages which is influencing the IT sector and has a vast scope in the future.
Career Prospects In Python Technology
With the advent of Information Technology, the career opportunities associated with python programming language have grown significantly. In fact, IT organizations are looking for candidates having an excellent core and advanced python skills.
This has resulted in an increased demand for python professionals who can easily perform the programming tasks given to them. This also depicts a better career scope for python programmers in the future.
Here we have listed some of the python job profiles along with their respective salaries(according to payscale.com and indeed.com) in India.
Python Developer- Rs. 336k per year
Software Engineer- Rs. 543,840 per year
Senior Software Engineer- Rs. 909,651
Software Developer- Rs. 524,032 per year
DevOps Engineer- Rs. 634,345 per year
Data Scientist- Rs. 816,147 per year
Why Python Programming Language Has Bright Future?
- Python has been voted as most favorite programming language beating C, C++ and java programming. Python programming is open source programming language and used to develop almost every kind of application.
- Python is being used worldwide as a wide range of application development and system development programming language. Big brands and search engine giants are using python programming to make their task easier. Google, Yahoo, Quora, Facebook are using python programming to solve their complex programming problems.
- Python programming is versatile, robust and comprehensive. Python is high-level programming language and easy to learn as well as it reduces the coding effort compare to other programming languages.
- Python programming is used to write test scripts and tests mobile devices performance. It is one of the most versatile languages these days. Python programmers are most demandable in the IT industry these days and get paid more compared to another language programmer.